Deep learning isdefined as the process of learning for transfer, meaning it allows a student to take what’s learned in one situation and apply it to another.When students engage in deeper learning they think critically and communicate and work with others effectively across all subjects. With deep learning, they learn to self-direct their own education and to adopt academic mind sets, and continue to be lifelong learners.
We, at Sky World School, best school in Panchkula give you a deeper understanding of what deep learning actually is.
Need for Deep Learning
Deep learning builds upon the facts that students already know. The higher the knowledge, the deeper their understanding is. Their knowledge base acts as a foundation upon which deeper understanding will depend.
The strategy of show & tell is used to build a deeper understanding, whichguides students as they practice the strategy and developing fluency through independent practice.
Common graphic organisers such as mind maps, cumulative concept maps, tree diagrams, Venn diagrams, tables etc. are used for linking to prior knowledge, explaining comparisons, hierarchies, cause-effect relationship and drawing conclusions.
Here are 7 easy steps to how deep learning at Sky World School, one of the top CBSE schools in Panchkula is inculcated among students:
1. Activating prior knowledge of students and train them to think about topics more deeply.
2. Lesson goals are set focused on deep learning when the students have gained sufficient knowledge.
3. Deep learning strategies are applied but the students are asked to practice them to do so independently first.
4. Students are taught to use graphic organisers to show relationships and to nurture deeper thinking.
5. Thinking strategies are applied by the students to the content they have learned.
6. The teacher assesses students’ thinking.
7. Students are often given feedback about misconceptions they hold.